The corrosion resistance of stainless steels depends on the quality of a very thin oxide layer, the ‘passive layer’. The TEST KIT OXILYSER 3 replaces the Oxilyser which was introduced in 1993 and being successfully used worldwide by pickling and passivation companies, end users and for checking passivity of storage and transport tanks.
With the TEST KIT OXILYSER 3 you measure passivity fast and accurately. Besides a 0 – 100 passivity scale, a LED (green/red) will indicate good/bad passivity. The TEST KIT OXILYSER 3 helps you to avoid corrosion problems.
The principle of the TEST KIT OXILYSER 3 is based upon measuring the rest potential of the stainless steel surface combined with a sophisticated algorithm for evaluation. The electrolyte is a non-toxic organic acid and filter-paper strips function as electrolyte bearer.
This method is the most direct way for measuring passivity. The scale of the LCD display is divided into 100 units. Passivity of three stainless steel groups can be measured:
- 0% Molybdenum (AISI 304, 321, 304L, Wst. Nr. 1.4301, 1.4541, etc.)
- 2% Molybdenum (AISI 316, 316L, 316Ti, Wst. Nr. 1.4404, 1.4571, etc.)
- Duplex stainless and 6% Mo steel such as Wst. Nr. 1.4462, duplex 2205, duplex 2507, 254 SMO and 1943 hMo
Traces of free iron are being indicated directly by causing a very low LCD value. By spot checking on several suspicious places such as edges and stains, large surfaces can be checked effectively within short time.
- Checking effectiveness of pickling and passivating treatment.
- Checking presence of free iron on products, which have been shaped with carbon steel tools.
- Checking effectiveness of rinse treatment.
- Checking passivity after unloading tanks with aggressive fluids like acids and orange juice.
- Checking passivity after cleaning/rinsing, e.g. stainless steel storage tanks, transport tanks.
Features & Benefits
- Oxilyser replaced palladium chloride test as more reliable standard for passivity testing
- Direct measurement, built-in algorithm for passivity testing
- Objective result on LCD display. Scale 0 (active) to 100 (fully passive)
- Good / not good LED passivity indication for three stainless steel groups
- Shockproof epoxy double bridge Ag/AgCl2 reference electrode. Gel filled, this makes measuring “upside down” possible
- In contrary to palladium chloride test and ferroxyl test, the Oxilyser 3 electrolytes are not toxic and not harmful
- Measuring procedure fits into QA/QC procedures (ISO 9001, 9002, etc.)
- For industrial use
- Impedance resistance > 10 MΩ. Test procedure for reference has been included